Namatjira Haven Daily Program
Examples of activities and content include:
- Daily chores
- Tai Chi weekly
- Daily House meetings
- Daily group therapy
- TAFE education class weekly
- TAFE Work Skills class weekly
- Music class weekly
- Art class weekly
- AA and NA meetings 5 per week
- Saturday outing
- Sunday visitors
- Free time
- Art room
- Resident golf course
- Vegetable gardening
All residents will have individual case
management during free time.
This program is subject to change
What to Bring
- Medicare Card
- Health Care Card
- Banking details
- Any other Identification that may assist you
- Enough clothing for at least one week. It is important to bring covered shoes for work programs. (This is an Occupational Health & Safety requirement).
- A bath/beach towel ,toiletries & washing powder.
- You may also like to bring personal items which will help you feel more at home (within the rules of the house, of course).
What Not to Bring
- Expensive or valuable items
- Mobile Phones
- Pornographic or violent material
- Video Games, CDís, DVDís / Videos/ Walkman or electricals
- Weapons of any kind, including pocket knives
- Body building food supplements, (natural or synthetic based) are not permitted. unless prescribed by GP.
- Namatjira Haven cannot take responsibility for a residentís belongings
Rent is charged at the rate of $140 per week/$280 per fortnight and is paid in advance. On entering the program you need to have your first fortnights rent ($280) in cash. Thereafter $300pf will be deducted from your Centre Link benefit $20 being a linen bond which is refundable with any overpayments on exit. Rents are calculated from the day residents enter the program until the day you leave. Any over payment will be repaid into your bank account within 7 working days of leaving. No cash refunds will be given.
For the first two week period residents will be allowed no contact. Thereafter, calls can be made from the resident phone in the foyer during free periods.(You will need to purchase a Telstra phone away card) Please respect that other residents may wish to use the phone and keep your calls to under ten minutes.
Messages may be taken from incoming calls outside set times on the office phone only.
Visiting hours will be on Sundays between 12.30. and 4.30pm.
Residents will not be allowed visitors until a two-week settling in period has occurred. Families are welcome to bring a picnic lunch.
Residents are responsible for cleaning their own rooms. Beds are to be made before breakfast. Residents are encouraged to respect otherís space and must not enter another residentís room. Staff must be allowed access to rooms for inspection. These will only be carried out in the residentís presence. Corkboards and shelving are provided in each room to place photos and other items. Please do not place posters etc directly on to the walls.
Residents are not permitted to have day or weekend leave whilst they are in the first 10-weeks of their residential program. Emergency circumstances will be considered on an individual basis.
No smoking is allowed within Haven Premises (and motor vehicles), an extensive fire alarm system has been installed.
Two washing machines and clothes dryer are available for residents use. Washing days are on the weekends. Laundry is to be accessed during the week for emergency washes only.
Respect for ourselves and each other is a value that we encourage in our residents. Trust is an essential element of the healing process.
With this in mind, we ask that residents keep confidentiality and therefore do not repeat anything that is said in group meetings. Non-personal issues may be raised in the morning House Meeting.
Breaches of confidentiality will be discussed in Case management and may result in disciplinary action.
Rights & Responsibilities
Namatjira Haven acknowledges and embraces the notion of:
- Respect for one’s self and others
- Promoting a sense of belonging and self worth
- Accepting responsibility of one’s actions, and
- Participation- ‘having a go”
As a resident of the Haven you have the right to:
- be treated with respect and dignity.
- a safe and supportive environment free from drugs and alcohol.
- be free from physical, emotional and sexual abuse.
- be fully informed about Namatjira’s expectations and service provisions.
- be involved in all aspects of your treatment plan.
- privacy and confidentiality.
- safely discuss grievances and or concerns
Residents are required to abide by the following rules:
Primary rules are fundamental to remaining at Namatjira and a breach will result in immediate discharge from the program. Primary rules include:
- Any type of physical violence towards a fellow resident, staff member, visitor or person connected to Namatjira Haven
- alcohol consumption
- illicit and or non prescribed drug use
- refusal to undergo substance testing
- faking substance tests for yourself and another resident
- sexual acts or sexual harassment or torments
- destruction of property
- Unauthorised leave from Namatjira Haven
Secondary rules are no less important than primary rules; however a second chance will normally be given, with a repeat offence resulting in immediate discharge from the program.
- Secondary rules include:
- knowledge of a breach of a primary rule and failure to report it
- threatening behaviour which includes swearing
Community rules relate to behaviours and attitudes that impact on program participation. Breaches of community rules will normally result in counselling which will include monitoring of improvement within a given time frame. Failure to reach an acceptable and sustained improvement may result in discharge from the program.
Breaches of community rules include:
- non compliance with work schedules or other program activities
- non participation or disruption in group work
- disobey Occupational Health & Safety rules
e.g. smoking in non-smoking areas
To act as a role model for residents, employees of Namatjira Haven will be expected to comply with the above rules whilst on duty.